I think everyone has had this point in life when you're away from home and just waiting to come back. I remember the day I arrived here in Libya. It was the start of my three months' stay here in the land of the Arabs. Had just finished three fruitful months in Germany and it was time for some action - read - on site support.
Let's see - new country - new continent - not as advanced as India, lets not even compare it to Germany ! Had this feeling - how the heck will I survive this "vanvaas" of three months. Looking back now to the time that has passed - I survived !
The first thing that caught my eye when I reached Tripoli, the capital, was sand. Sand was on the roads, there were times when there were no roads ... just some sand - sorry .. those were roads but made up of sand. That is when I said to myself, like Leonardo DiCaprio did in the movie "Blood Diamond" - "TIA" - This Is Africa !
In the three days that I spent in Tripoli, I acquainted myself with some "hot spots" of the city - the major crowd pullers - Green Square at the city center and a couple of streets famous for joints and shopping. Three days is all I got after which I travelled a thousand kilometers east of Tripoli to the city of Benghazi - which turned out to be my favourite.
Benghazi, the city of people as warm and lovely as the Mediterranean sea that borders it -making the most amazing of beaches. It's amazing how a thousand kilometers and a difference in the pre-occupation of the land can make a big difference in attitudes. I saw more of that this time when I was in Benghazi for a longer duration of time. People are more energetic, enthusiastic and appreciate good work. May be thats the reason why I'm praying to come here whenever I'm assigned this on-site job next.
Tomorrow, I'm bidding goodbye to Benghazi as I make my way to Tripoli for my final two days in Libya. I'm heading home ! It's so interesting that when you know you're going home after five months albeit only for two weeks, that days don't pass by as quick ! Someone's waiting for me ... eyes will light up as I'll get done with the formalities at the airport - have had this feeling last time. Be it 3:45 in the morning or whenever - the kind of rush that gets in to me when I've been away for such a long time and I'm just moments away from seeing her is ... simply not possible to put in to words !
Next stop - Mumbai City !
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment